Calamari Salad with Lime and Chili Dressing
Preparation Time: 10 minutes and 30 minutes marinating time
Cooking Time: 13-19 minutes
- One-two tablespoons fried garlic chips
- Three cups mixed green salad
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- One English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- Two scallions (spring onions), finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- One tablespoon packed light palm or brown sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Two tablespoons fish sauce
- One small red chili, finely chopped
- One small red chili, seeded and chopped
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 500 g (1 lb) cleaned calamari tubes, sliced 12 mm (½ inch) thick
- Put the calamari in a bowl with garlic, chili and lemon juice.
Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Drain and transfer calamari into a steamer basket or bamboo
- Partially pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid
simmer. Make sure the steamer does not touch the water.
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 3-4 minutes
until calamari is opaque.
- Get the calamari off the steamer. Allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix fish sauce with finely chopped chili, lime
juice, palm sugar and sesame oil. Stir thoroughly until sugar is
- Combine calamari, scallions, cilantro, cucumber, mint and add
chili mixture. Toss to mix thoroughly.
- Arrange on salad leaves, garnished with fried garlic chips.
- For the garlic chips, heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a
small saucepan and fry thinly sliced cloves garlic for 10-15 minutes
until golden brown and crisp. Make sure not to overcook the garlic.