More Poultry Steamer Recipes
Chicken with Apricot and Almond Couscous Stuffing
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours
- 1.5 kg (3 lbs) chicken
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 ¼ cups mixed dried raisins, dates and apricots
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- pinch of ground saffron
- Two teaspoons cumin seeds
- Two scallions (spring onions) finely chopped
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup butter or vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups boiling water or stock
- Two cups instant couscous
- In a medium bowl, put couscous and pour boiling water over it.
Allow to stand for 4-5 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- In a small pan, heat butter and add scallions, garlic, cumin and
saffron. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour over couscous and mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients
and lightly pack into chicken.
- Close flap and secure with a skewer basket lined with lime
leaves and lemon.
- Turn another steamer upside down if chicken is too high. Cover
with a lid or greased foil.
- Pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid simmer. Make
sure the steamer does not touch the water.
- Put the steamer over water and steam for 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours until
juices run clear.
- You can grill the chicken to the broiler until brown if you wish
to before serving with sherry sauce.
- Put the remaining couscous into oiled ramekins and steam with
chicken. Allow to stand for 2 minutes before unmolding. Serve
together with the chicken.
- For the sherry sauce, heat stock and sherry in a small saucepan.
Combine cornstarch with water and add 1 tablespoon hot stock. Stir
into remaining stock and cook until thick.