More Dessert Steamer Recipes
Chinese Lemon Date and Walnut Cake
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- One cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- Four eggs
2/3 cup sugar
- Two teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- Two tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- Two tablespoons coarsely chopped dates
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place eggs in a bowl and beat for 2 minutes until frothy. Add
half of sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining lemon zest and sugar then beat for 10 minutes.
- Stir flour into egg mixture gradually.
- Grease a 20 cm (9 inch) square pan and spoon in half the
- Add half of nuts and dates. Carefully spoon in remaining egg
- Sprinkle top with remaining nuts and dates, then cinnamon.
- Cover pan loosely to allow for rising, with a double layer of
greased plastic wrap or parchment paper, or place a kitchen towel
under steamer lid to keep any condensation from falling on cake.
- Transfer in a large steamer and cover.
- Partially pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid
simmer. Make sure the steamer does not touch the water.
- Put over water, cover and steam until a skewer inserted in cake
comes out clean about 15 minutes.
- Cut large cake into squares or slices and serve warm or cold
with fresh fruit.