Garlic and Cumin Lentils
Preparation Time: 15 minutes and 1 hour soaking time
Cooking Time: 38-40 minutes
- One cup masoor dhal
- 2/3 cup chicken stock or water
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- One tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil
- Two teaspoons toasted cumin seeds
- One medium size onion, sliced
- Two cloves garlic, crushes
- One fresh long green chili, seeded and thinly sliced, optional
- One tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Put lentils in a sieve and wash using cold running water. Pick
and remove any foreign matter.
- Soak in water for at least 1 hour. Drain well and put in a dish
that will fit a steamer basket or bamboo steamer.
- Add ginger, stock and coriander, stir well and put the bowl in
- Pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid steamer,
make sure that the steamer does not touch the water.
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 30 minutes until
lentils are soft.
- In a medium pan, heat ghee and cook cumin seeds, garlic, onion
and chili for 8-10 minutes until brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add mint and half of onion mixture into lentils.
- Spread remaining onion mixture on top for garnish.
- Serve as a dip or side dish with crispy fried pappadums.