Pesto and Sun-dried Tomato Veal
Pesto and Sun Dried Tomato is rated
based on 1 votes.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 17-18 minutes
- For basil pesto
- ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
- One cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- skewers and toothpicks
- Four veal scallops, about 150 g (5 oz) each, cut in half
- 12-16 large spinach leaves
- ½ cup oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, drained
- 250 g (8 oz) mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- To make pesto, put basil, Parmesan, basil, pine nuts, garlic,
half of olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor and puree.
- Pour in remaining oil in a thin stream while machine is running.
- Pound veal with a meat mallet until thin. lay the veal flat on a
- Spread pesto over two-thirds of each piece and place 3-4 sun
dried tomatoes at one end.
- Roll veal up and secure with a toothpick or skewer at a
45 degree angle.
- Using a tong, plunge each spinach into boiling water and allow
to soften for 2-3 seconds.
- Drain, remove toothpick and wrap 1 leaf around each veal roll,
overlapping 2 leaves if necessary. Secure again using toothpick.
- Place mushrooms in a steamer basket or bamboo steamer line with
parchment paper with veal on top.
- Pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid simmer
(steamer should not touch the water).
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 10-15 minutes
until cooked. Remove toothpick.
- Serve veal whole or cut diagonally with cut side up to reveal
- Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and mushrooms or steamed rice.