More Rice Steamer Recipes
Savory Rice Bites
Savory Rice Bites is rated
based on 2 votes.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes and overnight soaking time
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 ½ tablespoons tamarind pulp
- ½ cup boiling water
- One cup white glutinous rice
- One teaspoon finely peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Two teaspoons grated fresh turmeric
- ¾ cup thin coconut cream or coconut milk
- Two scallions (spring onions) finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Three kaffir lime leaves, spines removed, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon grated kaffir lime zest
- One red chili, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 185 g (6 oz) barbecued pork or barbecued chicken, sliced
- Sweet chili, satay, or hoisin sauce, for serving
- In a small bowl, place tamarind pulp and cover with boiling
water. Mix thoroughly breaking up pulp with a spoon allowing the
flavour to release.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes and push through a fine-meshed
strainer, discarding pulp and reserving liquid.
- Using a cheesecloth square, wrap turmeric and tie with string.
- Put the rice, turmeric and tamarind liquid in a medium bowl.
- Cover with cold water and allow to soak overnight. Drain and
- Spread rice evenly on top of the steamer basket or bamboo
steamer with cheesecloth.
- Pour pot and wok with water and bring to a rapid simmer. Make
sure the steamer doesn’t touch the water.
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 30-35 minutes
until rice is tender. Add more water if needed.
- Remove steamer from heat and transfer the rice into a bowl.
- Fold in ginger, scallions, cilantro, coconut cream, lime leaves,
chili and lime zest. Spread rice evenly in a 20 cm (8 inch) squake
baking pan with parchment and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until
- Cut into 16-20 squares to serve.
- Put a small piece of chicken or pork barbecue on top and a dash
of sweet chili, hoisin sauce or satay.