Shrimp and Chicken Custard
Preparation Time: 15 minutes with 20 minutes soaking time and 10
minutes marinating time
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- One teaspoon sake (rice wine) or dry white wine
- One teaspoon Japanese soy sauce
- 150 g (5 oz) boneless chicken breast, diced
- Four dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 ½ cups dashi (bonito stock)
- Two teaspoons Japanese soy sauce
- One tablespoon sake (rice wine) or dry white wine
pinch of salt
- Eight medium shrimp (prawns), shelled and deveined
- ½ cup sliced carrot, halved
- Four spinach leaves, blanched and chopped
- Four eggs
- julienne of lime or lemon zest, for garnish
- Place mushrooms in the water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain and
squeeze to remove excess water. (reserve the water, you can use it
as addition to stock).
- Remove the stems and cut each mushroom into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce and sake for 10 minutes.
- For the broth, combine dashi, soy sauce, sake and salt in a
small bowl, stirring until salt is dissolved.
- Divide chicken, mushrooms shrimp, carrot and spinach among 4-6
cups or ramekins.
- Beat eggs lightly, do not allow to become frothy.
- Stir in broth, mixing well.
- Pour egg mixture into each cup and garnish with lime zest.
- Cover the cup with double layer of plastic wrap or place a cloth
under lid when covering to stop condensation dripping onto custards.
- Put the cups in steamer basket or large bamboo steamer and
- Partially pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid
simmer. Make sure the steamer does not touch the water.
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 15-20 minutes
until custard has just set.
- When custard is cooked a skewer inserted inserted to it will
come out clean. Custard will not set very firmly.