Spicy Tomato and Leek Shrimp with Hokkien Noodles
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 7-9 minutes
- 500 g (1 lb) Hokkien noodles (wheat noodles, can be bought from
- ½ cup dry white wine
- One tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- One tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Two teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Three large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- Two tablespoons tomato paste
- One small green bell pepper (capsimum), seeded and diced
- One leek, white part only, washed and sliced
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg (2 lb) uncooked jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Place the shrimp in a large bamboo steamer or steamer basket.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil, saute garlic and leek for
2-3 minutes without browning.
- Add tomato paste and pepper, cook for 2-3 minutes until paste
starts to darken and becomes aromatic.
- Add vinegar, basil, oregano, tomatoes and wine.
- Put the steamer over pan and steam for 3-6 minutes until shrimp
- Remove shrimp from heat and continue to simmer the sauce.
- Cover noodles with hot water for about 1-2 minutes. Drain and
separate using a fork.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl. Stir in shrimp and sauce.
- Serve immediately with a good red wine.