Spicy Vegetables on Pistachio Couscous
Preparation Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 33-44 minutes
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- Two tablespoons chopped mixed herbs (parsley, mint and cilantro)
- Six cups thickly sliced zucchini, carrots, cauliflower florets
and green beans
- 300 g (10 oz) canned chickpeas, drained
- Two medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ teaspoon each sweet paprika, ground cardamom, cumin, turmeric
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- One large onion, chopped
- Two-three tablespoons olive oil
- One medium eggplant, cut into 12 mm (½ inch) pieces
- One cup instant couscous
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 60 g (2 oz) butter, melted or olive oil
- ½ cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Season eggplant with salt and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
Rinse with cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large saucepan heat oil and saute eggplant, garlic and
onion for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan, cover and simmer for 20-25
minutes until vegetables are tender and flavours are mixed well.
- Add couscous to the steaming basket for the last 10-15 minutes.
- For the couscous, heat stock in a small saucepan, remove from
heat and add couscous. Allow to stand for 4-5 minutes until all
liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in butter or olive oil so couscous is coated evenly.
- Break up any lumps and spread couscous out in a bamboo steamer
or steamer basket with parchment paper.
- Place the couscous over vegetables, cover and steam for 10-15
minutes until heated through. Stir in pistachios.
- Serve couscous topped with vegetables and garnished with
- To toast pistachios, remove shells and put pistachios under
broiler or in a dry frying pan over medium heat and cook for 3-4
minutes until colour have changed. But make sure not to burn them.