More Rice Steamer Recipes
Sticky Rice in Banana Leaves
Preparation Time: 15 minutes and overnight soaking time
Cooking Time: 55 minutes to 1 hour
- One teaspoon grated lime zest
- Juice of one lime
- One mango, peeled and sliced
- Twelve banana leaf squares, about 15 cm (6 inches)
¾ cup thin coconut cream or coconut milk
- Three tablespoons palm or brown sugar
- One cup white glutinous rice
- Pour cold water to the rice to cover. Allow to soak overnight.
Drain and spread rice evenly in a steamer basket or bamboo steamer
- Pour water to pot or wok and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 40-45 minutes
until rice is tender. Add more water if needed.
- Remove the steamer from heat and transfer rice to a bowl.
- Stir in sugar and coconut cream.
- Put banana leaves into boiling water for 30 seconds to soften.
- Rinse under cold water. Place 1 tablespoon rice in centre of
- Put a slice of fresh mango on rice with a drop or two of lime
juice and a pinch of zest.
- Close the rice securely by folding both sides in and roll.
- Follow the same process with remaining rice.
- Put parcels in a steamer basket or bamboo steamer on the water.
Cover and steam for 15 minutes. Serve parcels whole or halved.