More Rice Steamer Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes and 30 minutes soaking time
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
½ cups short or medium grain rice
½ cups cold water
For sushi vinegar
¼ cup rice vinegar
- Two tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash rice in 3 or 4 changes of cold water until water is clear.
Allow to drain for 5 minutes and place into a bowl that fits in
steamer basket or bamboo steamer.
- Add water, soak for 30 minutes then place into the steamer.
- Pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 20-25 minutes
- Remove the steamer from heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes
with a cloth under the lid.
- Allow the rice to stand longer if you prefer softer rice.
- Place the hot rice in a flat, shallow, non-mettalic dish and
pour in the sushi vinegar.
- Using a wooden paddle or spoon, click through rice at a
- Allow the rice to cool for 5-8 minutes, cover with a damp
kitchen towel to prevent rice from drying.
- For the sushi vinegar, mix all the ingredients in a bowl,
stirring until sugar and salt dissolve thoroughly.