Zucchini with Chicken and Shiitake
Zucchini with Chicken and Shiitake is rated
based on 2 votes.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes and 15 minutes soaking time
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
- One teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- One teaspoon shaoxing wine
- One tablespoon light soy sauce
- One clove garlic, minced
- Two tablespoons canned bamboo shoots, chopped
- Two scallions (spring onions) finely chopped
- 250 g (8 oz) ground chicken
- One giant zucchini or Asian fuzzy melon, peeled
- Two dried shiitake mushrooms
For the sauce
- Two tablespoons oyster sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- One medium red chili, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Three teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- One teaspoon water
- snow pea (mange-tout) shoots for garnish (optional)
- In a hot water, soak mushrooms for 15 minutes. Drain and gently
squeeze out excess water. Get rid of stems and finely chop tops.
- Cut zucchini into 2.5 cm (1 inch) slices and scoop out seeds
using a teaspoon.
- Mix mushrooms. scallions, chicken, bamboo shoots, soy sauce,
garlic, wine, ginger and sesame oil in a bowl. Mixing well.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons chicken mixture into the centre of each
zucchini slice, mounding the mixture 12 mm (½ inch) above the slice.
- Put slices on individual pieces of parchment paper and place in
a 30 cm (12 inch) steamer basket, bamboo steamer.
- Partially pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid
simmer. Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 10-15
minutes until melon is tender.
- For the sauce, heat stock, chili and oyster sauce in a small
saucepan. Combine water and cornstarch then stir in 1 tablespoon hot
- Add remaining stock, stir thoroughly until thickened.
- Serve zucchini slices with sauce on a bed of garlic mashed
potatoes or with a snow pea shoots.